Sunday, May 18, 2008

6 Random Things About Me

My friend Christianne tagged me with a meme that asks that I tell 6 random things about myself that most people don’t know. Here is my list:

1. I used to suck my thumb like Christianne. We won’t discuss for how long though.

2. When I was about eight, I found an abandoned duck egg in my grandparent’s hay loft. I noticed that it was surrounded by remnants of hatched egg shells. I also noticed that there was a small crack in the egg. So I peeled back a little shell and saw a wet duckling curled up in there. I fell asleep next to the egg in the warm straw. When I awakened, there was a fluffy little duckling pressed up under my chin. It thought I was its parent. I was amazed.

3. I ate this divine cheese on a flight to Italy one year via Air Dolomiti. I wished I had saved the wrapper because I have never tasted a cheese that wonderful since. And for the life of me, I can’t uncover what variety it was. If any of you have a guess, please, for the love of all that is good and holy, let me know.

4. The year my fourth-grade teacher retired (my favorite teacher of all time, by the way), I led a student conspiracy to throw her a party. We broke into the kindergarten classroom during recesses and pilfered a bunch of supplies to make her a huge banner and other things. My grandmother had helped me bake her a cake the night before. It was a sophisticated plot that astonished a couple of teachers that eventually caught us that day. They were so taken aback that they helped carry out our little scheme. We had party materials and everything. They tricked her into coming to the cafeteria where my whole fourth-grade class pounced on her with the surprise. She sobbed uncontrollably. She still has the banner hanging above her fireplace mantle.

5. I used to climb trees – any and all trees – without regard to life or limb (mine or the tree’s). I would often lock my legs between limbs and hang upside down for the thrill of it. I was a fearless/stupid kid.

6. I am completely enamored by music. It used to consume a large portion of my life. And I will often be singing a song in my head while I’m doing a number of other things, including holding a conversation with someone who is completely unaware of what is going on. Is that rude?

I tag Clayton, Andrea, Terri, Dave, and Shriyaa.

8 comments:

christianne said...

these are so awesome, nate! i love it. that story about the little duckling is so sweet. what happened afterward?

the story about the surprise party for your teacher just goes to show how much of a natural leader you are.

funny how some of your random things (sucking the thumb, imprinting with an animal, scaling trees or, in my case, not) follow a similar theme of mine.

sorry i can't help you with the divine cheese discovery . . . but that story made me laugh and shake my head at you. you're so silly.

Nathan said...

That duckling followed me around for a long time, but I got him to join his family after a while. Later, however, I raised a gosling (named him Junior) who followed me around throughout his life. He was one of my favorite barnyard pets.

Anonymous said...

Wow Nathan i wondered what you would have to say here. Hmmm i did not know any of this....except for the music thing. I have never met anyone who loves to sing as much as you.

Here is another fact that i will tell on you Nathan, you are really talented in taking the music to any song and singing your own words with that tune....you sing about everything, even things that do not merit the merry making of a song....i love you though.

And you sucked your thumb too huh? How adorable is that?

Sarah said...

I LOVE the story about the duckling...how sweet...and how sweet of you to let him follow you around! And the story about your teacher reminds me of how loyal you are ;)

Perception said...

Lol..the duckling story was SO cute!..and you'll fall asleep ANYWHERE!..lol..lol..it reminded me of when i found litter of puppies and I played w/ them ALL day..granna didn't know where i was..lol..(back then u didn't have to worry about crazies kidnapping you..lol)...and all of a sudden one day they were all gone...i cried and cried..lol...

This was a fun meme..Glad you made me do it..lol

kirsten said...

these were really fun to hear, nate!! i'm working on my own list of 6 random things, and i think one of mine will involve an egg too. though my story with the egg is not nearly as cute or sweet. ;o)

and yeah, nate ... i've heard you sing a few lines here & there. you can't hide from me.

and mmm ... cheese. what can i say, i miss it!

terri said...

you, my friend, are a great story-teller. i smiled so big when i read about you and that duckling. lucky ducky.

dave said...

Oh crap. I wish I wouldn't have read yours now that i got tagged.

Cool stuff Nate. I love your heart.