Friday, February 15, 2008

And A Light Comes On

A light came on early this morning – not in the way you might expect. It was around 5 a.m. when I began reading. As many of you know, I haven’t really read/finished a book since 2006. A few days ago, I went out and purchased Seeing is Believing – Experience Jesus through Imaginative Prayer by Greg Boyd. I’ve referred to him on occasion because he is one of my favorite authors. I’ve read most of his works. In fact, it is because of my interest in his ministry that I have connected with so many of you.

It was pitch dark outside as I began reading. To make matters worse, the lighting in the living room was terrible. Last month the bulb in the ceiling fixture went out. My roommate added a low-watt bulb; for whatever reason, he didn’t take the old one down. He just left it in the other socket. Well, that is a little annoying, as I am kind of picky about things like that. Still, I didn’t want to get a chair; reach up and unscrew the light fixture; remove the defective bulb; only to throw it away and replace the fixture, so I left it alone. We try to conserve on power, being good environmental stewards. But I’ve got to admit, this new bulb was extraordinarily dim and equally vexing.

As I lay on the couch, I struggled to read the text in those shadowy surroundings. What I was reading was really good, but I found myself getting increasingly irritated as I was trying to focus on some things I found particularly important. I said to myself, “I really wish there was more light so I could see better.” Within milliseconds of my having “said” that, the old bulb – the one that has not lit up in over a month – suddenly kicked in and cast its radiant beams all over the room. The whole room shone with white brilliance. That, in and of itself, is miraculous to me.

But what I want to share with you is the passage I was reading when this illuminating event occurred. “The Father does nothing less than place the believer ‘in Christ Jesus’ (Rom. 8:1; 1 Cor. 1:30; 2 Cor. 5:17; Gal. 3:28; Eph. 1:3). If we understand what this entails, we’ll see that there is in truth nothing greater God the Father could ever do for us than what he has already done for us by placing us in Christ” (27; emphasis mine).

This early section of the book takes up the theme of who we actually are in Jesus Christ. I have “preached” this topic to others for years. I know it is important to understand and realize these in-Christ realities. But what happened this morning has challenged me to revisit this truth. The above-italicized words are something I know God has spoken afresh to me. He wants me to chew on these things like cuds. God literally elucidated these words as I read them. The light literally came on in both the room and in my head.

I will not pretend to know the fullness of what God is trying to teach me here. I could wax long on the many things I think I know about these words. But I realize in my heart, whatever I know, it is deficient. Right now, the only thing I can do is ruminate on these things until God gives me a revelation. I need to contemplate them. Somehow, I know this is what God wants me to do. He literally had to flip the light on so that I would not miss this. He is marvelously gracious.


Keep praying for me.

22 comments:

Sarah said...

Nate, as a book-LOVER, I think this is one of the coolest stories I've heard in a while. How totally awesome of God to turn the light on in the room at the same time he turned the light on in your mind, as if the physical light highlighted the intellectual and spiritual light.

I don't know if we're ruminating on the same things, but I've lately felt called to thinking about light and life and how they are connected. What you said adds to it, for me--being "in Christ"...how much more ALIVE can we get.

Thanks, bro (I hope you don't mind if I call you that...it's what I call several of my guy friends ;) )

christianne said...

Nate, this is such a great story. Wow. Amazing. God is so amazing like that. And I love that he gave you the grace and ability to "see" what he was doing in that moment.

So thankful for what he is doing in you right now. Giving thanks alongside you, and understanding completely the need to let things ruminate, as you so poetically put it, before being able to say anything more definitive about what is going on. Right now, it's just for you and him to talk about together. But we're here with you, and we're loving on you, and we're praising God with and for you, and we're continuing to lift you up.

di said...

oooh, i love it! way to go God! and i can't wait to hear what He does next nathan...enjoy real fruit and being transformed into his likeness with ever increasing glory! light on!! gotchya covered.

Nathan said...

Sarah, I don't mind "bro" at all. Sounds nice.

Christianne & Di, I'm grateful for your prayers. :)

kirsten said...

Illumination.

Tammy & I were just talking tonight about how God shows up profoundly & brilliantly Himself, but in the most unexpected places. Like blogs. Like in the actual light fixtures on our ceilings, so you can see what He wants you to see. So you can know that He cares desperately that you see it, that you hear it.

So you can know He sees you. That you can deepen your understanding of what 'In-Christness' really is.

Illumination. And new beginnings too, I think.

Blessings to you, brother. Holding you in prayer,
-kirsten

Nathan said...

Kirsten, thanks for the intercession.

Anonymous said...

Nate
This is really cool, isn't it weird when things like that happen.I have been reading some of the same stuff in that GB book. He talks a lot in there about being in Christ. He says that it is not just that God sees us through Christ, but that He has placed us in Him.

di said...

nathan, i have some slides and talking notes from teaching regeneration/renewal, identity in christ, patterns for renewing the mind - to TNT Refuge class...if you'd like copies, email me at the address on my profile and i'll send them your way.

Amarie said...

Hi Nate, I've had a similar experience however I was deep in prayer and pleading for God's help and guidance. In the midst of this a blue light illuminated my dark bedroom. I'd never seen it before and wasn't sure what it was. It came, I mean at just the right moment. Turns out it was my kids Wii. Who new? Anyway the feeling of peace that came over me said it all. This was no coincidence.

di said...

coincidentally I came across this quote the other day and seems apropos...

There are no mistakes, no coincidences. All events are blessings given to us to learn from. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

a.k.a. Godincidences.

kirsten said...

hi nathan, just sitting out the couch here, loving the fact that i have a 3-day weekend and that i can sit here, looking out at the blue sky & sun which seems particularly blue & exceedingly sunny after weeks upon weeks of cold, snow, wind, & rain rain rain. thinking of you today, just wondering how you are.

peace to you,
-k

Anonymous said...

Nate
I love you, U B my friend. I love your listening ear you hear places in me that even i can't hear. Missing you. Oh and we will have to join up with the Jesus Christ of Later day Saints.....you are always talking about my "religious adventures" Maybe we could hi-jack these guys and get 'em baptized in the Holy Ghost. What ya think?

di said...

Glad you BE feeling better Nathan, and thank you for leaving a mess for me...worth every bit of waiting for sumpin! blessings and prayers unceasing.

dave said...

Hey Nate;

Cool story. Thanks for sharing that. How much of our lives would look diff. if we could wrap our brains around that truth.

I keep seeing Jack Nicholson screaming at Tom Cruise in a "Few good Men", "You can't handle the truth!" In fact, in some cases, we really can't. Or at least it seems that way.

So . . . we keep running the race.

Blessings my brother

L.L. Barkat said...

Hi there. Thanks for stopping by.

I love the little light bulb experiences we get in life. Indeed, yesterday as I sat outside with my eyes closed, I was pleasantly surprised to open them and see a warm golden-red glow on the tree trunk beside me. It felt like a gift. Even if it wasn't a direct communication, doesn't matter; it was still a gift. A sense of Presence in the beauty, the light of the world.

Sarah said...

Hi bro--I talked to Tammy this AM and she said you're still feeling crummy...that's wretched!! I don't have your email but wanted to let you know I hope you feel better soon.

terri said...

happy birthday nate!!!!!

di said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
di said...

so good to see something happening over here...especially when it means a chance to wish a brother a blessed and wonderful birthday! thanking God for the day you were born!

Happy Birthday dear Nathan...
Happy Birthday to you!!

di said...

Nathan?? where are you?

Danny said...

DUDE! this was an amazing post bro! i love hearing what God did for you!... what He is DOING for you... so cool nathan. i think this is something that we can NEVER hear enough, so thank you for bringing it out into the light for us all to revisit!
good talking to you the other night too!

Shriyaa said...

You robbed me of my words again!

But your write inspired many, as we can see.
You may be locked up in a dark dungeon for days together with no sign of hope, but as soon as that inner flame in your sou flickers and you give up, you'll find something burn the candels of hope again. It wasn't you. It wasn't anyone you know. Then you was it? :) Well, you know him right... We all do.

Since i was a child, God was a very intresting character in my life, and he still is! One thing for sure i've noticed, He is very calculative. He will speak through specific modes and in specific languages. For instance, you were bestowed with light. His words are subtel and obscure. He will want you to draw sense out of them. :)

Really loved what i read.
Keep writing.