Friday, January 25, 2008

Downy Smells Like Love

She was up late. She always stayed up late. I suppose this was normal for a grandmother trying to keep up with caring for her five rambunctious grandchildren (three more would soon follow). My two brothers, two sisters and I were quite a handful. None of us older than five, we had boundless energy that would’ve probably exhausted women a third my grandmother’s age. I, at four years old, was easily the most kinetic. This might help explain why I never slept like normal kids. I would always stay up later than my siblings and watch Mammaw. She was the only other person up at this late hour. Pappaw went to bed and got up with the chickens.

Mammaw & Pappaw’s (this is what we called their home) was situated in rural Indiana, past a lot of cornfields and on an elevated patch of land that I would call a hill, except that it stretched out in a fairly flat manner for some distance before the ground would dimple. These 110 acres were well wooded with a variety of deciduous trees that would blush the landscape in autumn. Creeks were etched into the countryside and came in an assortment of shapes and sizes; the largest one we affectionately named Big Papa Creek. The pristine waters provided playful and refreshing relief during the sweltering summers. Mammaw & Pappaw’s, with all the farm animals and nature, was a wide-eyed little kid’s wonderland that stood in stark contrast to the city life in which we were too often left alone. And I liked contrast.

I had a special bond with Mammaw. Maybe it was because I kept vigil with her as she worked late at night? The country life was no easy existence. Age and hard labor had weathered Mammaw’s skin. It was soft and thin like most elderly people and lay loosely over a very solid frame. I would try to smooth the wrinkles from the supple skin on her arms and hands. Laying my cheek against it, I imagined it was my pillow. Her skin’s soft texture was contradicted by her Puritan work ethic and imposing physical strength, both necessitated by the times and place in which she lived.

There was always work to be done and never enough time in the day to do it all. That’s why Mammaw borrowed time from the night. Mostly, she would wash things at night. Dishes. Floors. Laundry. Laundry . . . was my favorite.

Mammaw washed using an antique wringer washer. It wasn’t an antique when she bought it, but like her, it had aged gracefully and was still up to the task; she saw no reason to abandon its usefulness just yet. The washer and dryer were located in an old house adjacent to the one we all lived in. This house had been there since before they had purchased the property. Made completely of wood, it sat on a foundation of blocks and smelled like a log cabin. My grandparents never tore it down, but instead chose to make use of it as a giant storage unit where they kept the deep freezers that preserved the many fruits and vegetable they grew, and the meat which they butchered yearly. It was also the perfect home for the washer and dryer because it was just several yards from the backdoor, down the walkway.

I used to follow Mammaw out there late at night to keep her company. I would watch her meticulously and methodically go through her routine of checking the pockets, turning the clothes inside out, and stamping them down into the running machine with a clean wooden stick that had been rendered rather pallid from its years of duty in detergent and bleach. I would gaze as she would literally run these garment through the wringer, being ever-so-careful not to catch her fingers between its crushing rollers. She would never let me stand too close because she worried that I would “lose a finger.”

She would transfer the clothing to these large stainless steel tubs of rinse water to which she would add Downy fabric softener. I loved Downy! Mammaw said it smelled April fresh. But to me it smelled like love.

After the clothes had soaked for a while, she’d run them through the wringer again. Then she’d put them in the dryer and start the cycle. This was my favorite part. The dryer exhaust blew through an aluminum conduit that ran through the old house wall and protruded out from the building about two feet. I would run outside and pull this heavy metal lawn chair—rust-freckled, covered with flaking red paint—around the old house and position it right in front of the dryer exhaust. I would sit there and let the warm air wash over me, caressing me in the scent of Downy. The steady hum of the dryer would sing me to sleep. I especially loved it when the night was cold because the warm dryer air would create a contrast that would raise goosebumps on my skin. I loved contrasts.

After she had finished the laundry for the night, which was usually around 3 a.m., she would softly pick me up out of the chair so as not to wake me. But I always knew she was doing it; I just never told her. I wanted her to carry me into the house and put me to bed. I loved the closeness. And the best part came when she tenderly laid me in the bed and covered me up. She did this by tossing the blanket into the air and letting it gently glide down. As I peered through my eyelashes, it seemed like an angel’s feather floating down on me. This action would generate a mystical breeze as it came to alight upon me. Wafts of clean air scented with Downy would effortlessly fill my nostrils. Mammaw would tuck me in carefully. Downy smelled like love.

One particularly cold winter night, I caused quite a commotion. Departing from my normal routine, I had fallen asleep before Mammaw started the laundry. She had just placed the last load in the dryer and had come into the house to watch the news. I awakened and slipped out the back door to see if she was in the old house washing. But before I left, I grabbed the feather bed and dragged it out the door with me. I never understood why they called it a feather bed and not a feather cover. It was roughly the dimensions of a sleeping bag but was lined with feathers. My young mind didn’t understand the terminology, but I knew it was exceptionally warm, so it was going with me.

It was really dark that night. With no street lamps for at least 20 miles, the only illumination came from the pale Midwestern moon as it cast a soft warm hue over our snow-covered backyard. Down the walkway I went, and since the lawn chair was already in position and had been preheated by the sweet-smelling dryer exhaust, I bypassed going into the old house to look for Mammaw and just crawled up into the chair, cocooning myself in the feather bed. In no time, I had been rocked fast asleep by the dryer’s lullaby.

Tranquility would give way to turmoil as my panicked grandmother discovered I was missing from my bed. She upended the house in her frantic search for me. She was sure I had frozen to death as she came hysterically running out the backdoor. Snow had speckled my sleeping head, but I was snug and secure beneath the warm down-filled blanket. Like always, she gently carried me into the house, this time with tears flowing down her high cheek bones. And just like always, I feigned sleep so she would nuzzle me in the Downy-scented covers on my bed.

I miss the country. I now live in a quiet residential area somewhere in suburbia. Often, I take walks late at night; I especially like them when it is cold out (I love contrasts). As I make my way up the empty streets of my dimly-lit neighborhood, every once in a while I will catch a waft of Downy coming from someone’s dryer exhaust. The smell is unmistakable. As I pause and my eyes close, I inhale deeply. For a fleeting moment, I am enraptured by Mammaw’s warm ethereal embrace. I don’t know if love has a scent. But for me, Downy smells like love.

© 2008 Nathan/StealthyDarky

20 comments:

christianne said...

Oh my gosh, Nathan, this story gripped me like it has ahold of my heart and will not let it go. I felt like I was reading a NOVEL. I felt like this was something already PUBLISHED. But besides its literary beauty, I fell in love with your Mammaw and your little child self.

There is so much tenderness in this story. I can't describe it. You know what? It's one of those feelings of speechlessness Drea talked about. I'm not sure I even want to try dignifying what I felt with words.

All I can say is, this is beautiful. This is full. This is colorful. This is warm. This is love.

christianne said...

PS: Now I know why you're up stalking around the internet at 4:30 in the morning. It's because of your childhood love for your Mammaw that ingrained a sacramental spirit to the night in you.

Nathan said...

Christianne,

I'm glad you liked it. It is one of my fondest childhood memories. It's interesting that you mentioned Andrea in your comment. I spoke to her on the phone the other night, and as we talked, I was reliving this story in my head. I told her I was going to write about it and post it up. This was the same night the whole speechless thing came up.

I kept putting it off. But last night, I found myself lying in bed unable to sleep (imagine that), so I got up and wrote this memory down. The words jumped onto the screen so quickly. I just closed my eyes and details, from start to finish, came pouring out through my fingertips. I wrote it straight through because it seemed like I was experiencing the whole thing in a single frozen moment in time.

It feels even more special now because I am able to share it with people I know appreciate small, unassuming things. Thanks for taking the time to commune with one of my most special nostalgic memories.

terri said...

Oh Nathan this is so evocative and rich. What a blessing to get a glimpse into your history that is so tender and that smells so good. I have a really good friend living in Haiti for the year and one of the things that she appreciated so much when we came to visit her was the smell of her sheets that we brought her. Smells like love. :)

christianne said...

Nate, I can totally feel how that was the case for you here. As I was reading, it really felt like something that had been written straight through . . . and yet it felt so inspired. I think that's why I felt the way I did when I read it: there is a magnetic pull inside these words, a force that begins innocently, setting up the sights and sounds and smells, and then totally sucks you in so that you can't get out. And that's a good thing because the story is so rich and full with love and catharsis.

You have a gift, my brother. Someday I would really love to be holding a book in my hands with your name on it that begins with this story and then takes me on the journey of your life through from there. It is a book I would treasure.

Anonymous said...

Nate
This whole memory is very sweet.

di said...

what a precious fresh aroma of sweet memories ~ i was there in that chair fully enveloped in your story. keep holding onto that little guy so tenderly by heart. he's so good to know.

di said...

i want to say i will only ever use downy again and that's finding some tension with snuggle being that someone associated it to gracie ~ dryer sheets will forever more conjure up soft feelings and smells like love

(now I can check the little box too:)

bluemountainmama said...

mmmmm..... i'm with christianne. this was so vivid that i felt like it was my memory. what a wonderful storyteller you are!

growing up on a farm myself, so many of those memories resonate with me. i know how the country takes hold of you....

and did you know that there is actually a scientific link to smells and memory? i remember studying it in my health and psychology class... that smells actually help to imprint memories. when i bake bread and certain family recipes that my mom made growing up, the smells always envelop me and bring back warm, childhood memories.

so glad you have these remembrances to keep you warm on these cold, wintry nights....

(also, one of my favorite things to do is walk or just sit out on my porch at night....when there is a tangible hush that falls over the landscape, whther you are in town or in the country)

Nathan said...

Terri,

I imagine they would smell sweet, extra sweet, if you've been away from them so long and in such a different environment.


Christianne,

We'll see if I can gather the motivation to complete something like that. And, hopefully, others will find it as "magnetic" as you did. Thanks for the encouragement.


Tammy,

You're sweet too.


Di,

Go with the Downy (I'm not at all biased). Gracie does look extra fluffy like she's been rinsed in fabric softener and dried on fluff.


Blue,

I am a super-sensory dude. I recall minute details from my childhood (from any time in my life) if I smell a certain scent, hear a certain song, taste a certain food, touch a certain texture, see a certain sight. My brain permanently logs and associates these things in crazy ways. And most of the time, I'm very glad about that. Thanks for nice thoughts.

Shriyaa said...

Nathan sounds like Love to me :)

By the time i finished reading, i had goose bumps. And many times in between too, i saw a little boy lost in the enigmatic world of love. I say world of love, as everything you saw, heard, smelt, did, or thought as a child, you felt love.

i really, really, love certain words you've used, some made the child within me giggle, and some made the mother within me smile :)
Somewhere you've mentioned, 'being Kinetic child' :P and the 'mammaw and pappaw' for sure was really sweet... the cold nights, and the soft skin of your mammaw... it was all amazingly put together. And the most wonderful part of it was that it came straight from your heart, and was heartfelt to the others too. :)

di said...

ust checked my self Nathan and it is Downy indeed....clean breeze this time, april fresh the next.

di said...

err

Just checked my shelf Nathan and it is Downy indeed....clean breeze this time, april fresh the next.

kirsten said...

Oh my goodness, Nathan. I'm with Christianne. The telling of your story gripped me, how a scent transports you to a place in your memory that is so potent & stark & brimming over with love. I don't know what it is about scent, but there are a few for me that unlock places in my memory that usually hide beneath several layers.

Your telling is so tender & powerful. And yes: this is full; this is colorful and warm and this is LOVE.

So, so ... so much. So beautiful.

Blessings,
k

Nathan said...

Everyone,

I have been having a hard time keeping up with comments and blogging lately because I haven't been feeling too well. So if I disappear for a lil bit, don't think it's for good; I'm just trying to get better and re-center since things have been a lil chaotic lately. Keep praying for me.


Shriyaa,

Good to see you're back. Thanks for the considerate comments. Childhood can be so blissful.


Di,

I like all Downy scents, but I really love the original April Fresh one. It's always good to check your self as well as your shelf :)

Kirsten,

Thank you for the beautiful comments. I'm glad the story moved you.

terri said...

Hope you're feeling well soon. Take your time. We're here with you whenever you get back and we're praying.

christianne said...

Yes, do take your time, Nathan. You care for others so well . . . need to care for yourself, too! Sorry to hear you're not feeling your best. Glad you could recognize what you need to do to get better. Blessings on you, broham.

Shriyaa said...

Tare good care of yourself... Hoping to see you pretty soon, blooming in your best spirits :)

And dont worry about me, I'll keep coming and going like the wind, But I'll see to it that I am somewhere around the corner for you :)

christianne said...

Hi Nate, just stopped by to say hello and hope you're taking care of yourself. Are you feeling any better yet? Is this a physical illness of some sort, or more of an emotional exhaustion because of lots going on in your world? Or maybe both.

Don't feel the need to respond or explain. I'm just talking out loud about the questions rumbling around in my head about you. Caring about you, and hoping you're moving toward on the mend.

Judy Sombar said...

I grew up marginally low-income, living in an urban apartment and having to go to laundry mats to clean clothes. We couldn't afford fabric softener during those years, and its one of the memories I have of my Grandmother's home, on the Western Slope in Colorado- I loved to smell her Downy- and yes, it does smell like love. So today, when I do the laundry in my home, for my family, I use Downy, just because....

Now if only Proctor and Gamble would see your post and my comment- maybe we could be on a commercial with our memories, and make a gazillion dollars. :)

Judy Sombar