Friday, February 27, 2009

Self Reflection

Love your neighbor as you love yourself. You can’t really love your neighbor unless you love yourself – at least this is what is popularly taught. I don’t believe that. As the years have gone by, I am astonished that I ever parroted such a notion. In fact, I believe it is impossible to love yourself unless you first love your neighbor. Sounds absurd? It certainly runs contrary to our popular, self-centered cultural mentality. It even flies in the face of what is popularly taught in the Church. Of course this is not really a revelation; the Church has hardly been immune to the infiltration and subsequent assimilation of pop-culture ideals, even the veneration of self.

But I don’t want this to sound merely religious or sermonic. I want to argue that deference to/for “the other” is the legitimate manifestation of true love for all people, even those who are not typically thought to be religious. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not suggesting that those people who have never encountered Christ have exactly the same capacity for emanating His love or fully understanding that love. How could they? Christians, for the most part, seem baffled by this antiquated notion of selflessness. Still, I want to suggest that all people were designed to receive, reflect, and release this thing called love from and to others.

Love should be understood as a fundamental nature that is “otherly-focused.” The whole world should embrace that notion, not just the Church. It should be an integral part of every relationship (romantic or platonic), every community and society, and every institution. The world would be better for it.

How can I argue that we should put others before ourselves? Is that even healthy? Don’t we run the risk of getting used or used up? How can we even truly love others until we love ourselves?

I think that Christians and people in general have been duped by the belief that love starts with the self. The truth is: the self doesn’t even start with the self. It begins as an awareness of others and develops as we imagine, interpret and internalize how we think others perceive us. This is called the concept of the looking-glass self. It can be summarized as follows:

  1. We imagine how we must appear to others.
  2. We imagine the judgment of that appearance.
  3. We develop our self through the judgments of others.

This can be a shocking revelation when it is really reflected upon. It also becomes a considerable responsibility. In many ways, we really are our brothers’ and sisters’ keepers. Very often we sway the perceptions of others about themselves, whether for better or worse. People many times see themselves as they think we perceive them. And this process begins very early.

Babies begin to notice right away that their cries elicit a response in their environments. It would be difficult to know exactly when a baby realizes that it is a self, a distinct entity. But it is clear that at some point they are aware that they can affect the world around them and that there are other entities out there. In fact, this would be a good point at which to move back a step and underpin the idea of how we can even know we are a self.

The only way any entity could know that it has self is if that entity has something by which to objectify itself. I know that sounds very confusing, but let me explain. Suppose that you were the only entity in the universe. Nothing existed except for you. You are everything. How would you know that you existed? I mean, what would you compare yourself with? What would you contrast yourself against? How could you even know that you were an individual if there was nothing by which you could individualize yourself against? Does that make sense?

In other words, you couldn’t possibly know your self unless you knew that you stood in contrast to something else. You would simply just be. You could not be self-aware because you could not be aware of any other thing by which to objectify yourself as a self. I know all of this sounds confusing, but I promise that I will be leaving the esoteric stuff behind shortly.

Now for all of those theologically-minded folks who wonder how God could have self-consciousness and self-awareness if He existed before there was anything else, let me simply say this: the argument for a Triune God is strengthened considerably by understanding love as a selfless nature that is otherly-focused. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit have forever enjoyed this communal love fest. God has always been self-aware precisely because He has always lived in community. Each member of the Godhead has been eternally focused on the other in an infinite dynamic that we call love. This gives God self-awareness, the ability to create ex nihilo, and defeats any notion of dualism whereby the Creator’s existence or self-awareness is dependent upon the creation.

There still might be some scriptural questions about the meaning of the opening sentence. Let me address that by pointing to another scripture first. Romans 12:10 closely associates being devoted in brotherly love with showing preference and deference to “the other.” But if we love ourselves first and foremost, it seems that this passage would make little sense. When the Bible says to love our neighbors as we love ourselves, I think that the point it is trying to make is this: everyone one loves his or her self; this is a common (even fallen) human trait. We are innately selfish, so the passage is using a literary device to make a point. I don’t think it’s trying to create a strict, linear theological formula here. The point is that, just like we love ourselves (not that this comes first), we should also deeply love our neighbors. I think this is something that resonated loudly with those that heard it. They understood the point. They did not take it as some formula.

What is more, I believe that we best love ourselves by loving other people. When we love others, it transforms them and makes them better individuals. In return, these transformed people project better perceptions about us through which we in turn internalize and define ourselves. Also, by preferring others, by always putting the needs of others ahead of our own selfish desires, we make the world a better place. And this better place is one of the best ways we can show love for ourselves by virtue of it creating a better environment in which we can live. Could you imagine what would happen if everyone chose to put the interest of the other above his or her own interest? We would all share. Starvation would be virtually eliminated. Crime would cease.

Of course people could abuse this proposition. But those abusing it would be abusing it because they failed to put the other first; they failed to love. And in a situation like that, perhaps one of the most loving things a person could do is to not enable this self-destructive behavior. This caveat guards against someone allowing another to abuse him or her. There must be a balance between longsuffering love that is willing to sacrifice and wisdom that will not allow an abuser to abuse his or her self by abusing others.

Now I am not so naïve as to believe that this can occur apart from the grace of God. I also don’t believe that it will happen in this system we call the World. It will happen when God’s redemption in Christ if fully realized, when we see Him and we are like He is. Still, this is an ideal for which we must all strive, regardless of how ultimately obtainable it will be in this lifetime.

Let me leave the above discussion behind for now. A lot more could be said to make the point, but that is well beyond the scope of what I am trying to do. Really, what I wanted to achieve in laying that earlier groundwork is simply this: I want us on the same page when I explain some things I am feeling.

*******

I am a very selfish person. The longer I live, the more I am aware of this shameful fact. I’d like to think that I am fairly selfless, that I am only self-concerned (a good thing) without being self-centered. But that is just not the case. Despite my knowledge of this, I still try to live my life in a way that is otherly-focused. Unfortunately, one of the things I “love” the most is tainted with a very distinct selfishness. I actually prefer holding on to this “love” rather than relinquishing it and suffering the loss.

Sure I could find many good reasons for holding on to it. I know that there are many benefits in my being involved with it. Yet, ultimately, I know in my heart that regardless of how many benefits I can enumerate, at the root of it there is a selfishness that cannot be ignored. Shame and pain do not allow me to fix my eyes on it directly. The prospect of loss and the vacuous feeling tearing at the hub of my heart cause me to defer dealing with it rather than show loving deference to “the others” I am hurting, not the least of which is God. And I am certainly not truly loving myself. If I were, I would not be hurting those I love so much. Their painful perceptions of me only reinforce a negative sense of self in me.

I know that the “Other” I should be focused on is Jesus. When we are fully focused on this Other, and when we rightly interpret His perception of us – His utter love for us – we are transformed and our self-perception changes for the better. Our true self begins to materialize, a reflection of the One who brought us into being.

But right now I cannot stand uprightly to peer directly into his eyes. Instead, sin and selfishness have me bowed over like an old man suffering from osteoporosis, only able to stare at myself. In fact, I began the unnatural curvature long ago when I refused to take my eyes off of myself. As time moves forward, my stature moves downward.

Christianne’s recent post has brought some light and liberation to my dismal state though. I cannot say that I can gaze on Him yet, certainly not eye-to-eye. But I am more likely to take a fleeting glance because I am more aware of His patience. And this loving revelation was received by simply being otherly-focused long enough to read an-other’s description of a similar journey.

We need each other. We need each other in order to know our selves, in order to help our selves. We need each other in order to love our selves. But we must first love others and the Other so that we can experience this love for ourselves.

8 comments:

di said...

word! truth. thanks nathan.

di said...

can we imagine what it will be like...

to be so FOR one another.
no self preservation needed.
the other has you covered.
you cover them.
heavenly.

Perception said...

I'm still marveled at the fact that you posted something...lol..when i get over that fact i'll reflect on your blog...

good to see you on Nathan..miss you...

christianne said...

Hi, my friend.

Your post stimulated a lot of thoughts for me. I've been thinking a lot about our need to encounter love in order to love . . . and even how our encounter with love transforms us so much so that we are compelled to love. We actually cannot help it.

I'm thinking, too, that we cannot get outside our self-involved selves on our own. I'm just not sure we can get there. And if we are all in that state, is it even possible for us to love one another? We need something outside of ourselves (and by "ourselves," I mean our fallen humanness) to demonstrate that love, offer that love, and transform us into that kind of love. We need someone outside of humanity to define what humanity is meant to be.

That is loosely articulated, and I haven't supported it too well. It's still a thesis that is a work-in-progress for me . . . but I do wonder how you, my wise and learned friend, would take such a theory. I'm pretty sure you'd have opinions on the matter!

I read a book in January about intimacy in action . . . intimacy with God leading to the activity of love toward others. Being a contemplative who holds what I said above about the transforming effects of love, I dug it. :) But there was also a section in the book that talked about the need for action to be transformed. It talked about how the disciples walked and talked with Jesus every day, but there was something they learned about the power of God and themselves when they went out and actually started proclaiming the kingdom and healing people. Being with Jesus (the contemplative stream) only gets us so far; eventually, our faith also needs to grow when we interface with others. This thought challenged me a lot, but I'm coming to see its merit. I don't only grow in love for God and others in my prayer closet; I continue to grow in love and knowledge when I'm putting my actual self in contact with other selves. However, it needs to start with an encounter with Christ. That's where the disciples started. And that's where Christ himself started: knowing he was the beloved son.

I'm encouraged to hear how my journey helped along your journey, how it helped you put visuals and words to your current posture. I pray you receive his gentleness, patience, and invitation to love as you meditate on that posture in the presence of Christ.

Anonymous said...

Evil blogger ate my last comment! Anyway, I have read this post about 3 times now. I love your philosophical reasoning Nathan. Though, I know that sounds shallow and I know that was not your intent in writing this blog.

I can totally relate to what you said there about being selfish. It seems as time passes I keep seeing just how selfish I can be. A lot of that revelation happens through blogging. I get this really sick feeling in the pit of my stomach sometimes when I see how self centered I can be.

I think sometimes out of weakness of will (we have talked a lot about that) we try to put some sorta salve on the wound of neediness inside of us. Yes, I can parrot off the religious phrase, "God is my everything. All my needs are met in Christ."

But when lonliness sets in, I head right back into lala land and daydreaming about the things that I wish were a part of my reality. Dreams, no matter how far fetched they can be, still, they seem to pour a momentary salve on a gaping wound. As confusing as what I just said sounds I know you know how I am relating this to your blog.

To love, or not to love at all, or to die to love.... I am perplexed, and even the answer I refuse to face brings its own torture. I understand not being able to look at Jesus because the weight of what I want keeps me withholding myself from Him.

Drea said...

At some point last year or so, I was talking about a bible study with some friends and one of them said that you cannot forgive others until you forgive yourself. It hit me pretty hard at the time and was the inspiration for a lot of the forgiveness posts I made. This idea is similar to it, in that your relationship with others and the relationship with yourself are closely related. A point I think few would venture to disagree with. I am still trying to reconcile a few of the misgivings I have with what you shared. I agree with a lot and the misgivings are possibly just related to trying to understand some parts.

Most importantly, I'm glad to see that you've rejoined the online community. Thank you for the understanding words on my blog. Miss Ya.

Nathan said...

Di: Thanks for the comments. Could you imagine everyone walking in a love that covers a multitude of sins? It’s not a love that tries to cover-up our own sins, but one that selflessly covers and shelters another so much that we don’t actually gape gasp at their sins, but rather see beyond their faults and love them right where they are. Of course, when you plant love, you reap love.

Mekia: I’m totally happy just being able to get anyone to marvel at anything I do or say. So thanks! It’s good to hear from you and I miss you too. I look forward to your reflections.

Christianne: You’re right! We can’t get outside of ourselves by ourselves. We can’t save ourselves. We absolutely need someone outside of ourselves to demonstrate and offer perfect love so that we can be transformed into that kind of love. Of course, unlike God who eternally and infinitely is this love, transformation implies process for us. This, in turn, implies time. Interestingly, God doesn’t choose to do this merely unilaterally. Instead, he inolves other free-moral agents in this process – even fallen ones. And their involvement not only transforms those they interact with, but they, themselves, are transformed by engaging in the process of transforming others. As we reciprocate love with one another, which was ultimately derived from Love Himself, we are all transformed. You’re right on point though, it must first begin outside of fallen humanity in order to be perfected. One thing I want to mention, though, is that there are traces of this love even in fallen humanity. Of course it cannot be perfect, but it can be powerful and penetrating. Consider, for example, the love a parent might have for his or her child, even if no one in the family is “saved.” There are “unsaved” people who will lovingly die for their children. God’s love and grace permeates all of creation. I’m not promoting some unbridled universalism here. I am simply saying that love is more pervasive and present than some Christians think, and it will always be otherly focused or derive from that.

Tammy: I appreciate your candor. And since we have already discussed this on the phone, I wil simply say THANKS!

Andrea: I miss you! There are a number of things that I have written here that would bring pause to anyone, even me. I tried to just skim some of the things I was thinking. I didn’t want the post to be too verbose (which I’m sure it was) and I really didn’t feel up to making it a several-part series. I can appreciate your misgivings; sometimes, I seem to make little sense. In regards to the absolutely essential need for each of us to forgive ourselves, I will say this: It’s very difficult to forgive others if we haven’t forgiven ourselves. It is also very difficult to know what forgiveness is – and how to do it – if we’ve never been forgiven by another. This becomes almost circular. It’s very similar to the two greatest commandments: Love God with all your heart, mind, and strength; love your neighbor as yourself. Everything hinges on this. And I love the word “hinges.” That is a great way to think about it. There are two sides to a door, but the hinges are the things that allow it operate correctly. They’re both vital. It’s almost as if you can’t have one without the other. They appear to be simultaneous or concurrent. I guess what I was saying in my post was that, for humans at least, our first source for love and our identity (self) comes from another. It comes from outside of our selves. It’s kind of like the origins of the chicken/egg, huh? What I am NOT saying is that we should not love ourselves or care for ourselves. We need to love ourselves. I just think that this is only possible when we love another. In fact, we can only be aware of it IF there is an “other.” What makes this so crazy is that it is hard to imagine ourselves and/or love in a vacuum. In fact, I think that is so foreign a concept that we truly cannot accurately imagine it. I think such a reality (self or love in a vacuum) would negate the definitional concepts, of self or love. The terms, themselves, would become vacuous. Having said all of that, one of the reasons I know something about love is because I have a friend like you that I am convinced loves me. And, because you love me, I not only start to understand what the term means, but I am better able to reciprocate it. And I appreciate you, Andrea, so much – despite my long absences. Where does it all begin? With God. And imperfect traces of it (love) can be found in His creation. Hopefully, these imperfect traces/fragments are being perfected and constituted into something that reflects their Originator. In short, true love is otherly-focused first; that is as much a metaphysical given as the color orange retaining its orange hue. If it became another color, it would cease to be known as orange or the name would simply be an impostor. I don’t know if any of this addressed any of your misgivings, but know this: I’m glad that I have a reflective, orange-loving friend like you in my life. You make me better, and you positively shape my self.

Tammy said...

Hey Nathan
Here is my new blog. I LOVE YOU. :)
T